Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Great Exchange: My Sin for His Righteousnesss

Jerry Bridges has recently published two new books, this one and Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate (FYI - WTS says that due to overwhelming demand the first printing of Respectable Sins has completely sold out and they are waiting for a second printing, available perhaps at the end of November. Considering the subject matter, this seems a good sign for the body of Christ.)

Those of us fortunate enough to go to the Desiring God National Conference this year were able to hear Jerry Bridges speak. This was my first encounter with Bridges of any kind. He exhorted us in enduring to the end 1) to keep a daily time of focused personal communion with God, 2) to daily appropriate the Gospel to our souls, 3) to daily commit our lives as a living sacrifice to God and 4) to firmly believe in the sovereignty and love of God. He struck me as a very wise man, unromantic about the doctrine of sin and serious about holiness.

If you like me have not read anything by Bridges, I can't imagine a more worthy topic to cut your teeth on. For the rest of you who have previously been blessed by Bridges (his Transforming Grace has recently been taught at FCC), you need no encouragement from me to pick up this book.

I hope to have this on the stand on Sunday, October 21th. 304 Pages, $11.00. Let me know what you think.

No comments: